All candidates MUST meet the following:
- Must be a citizen of the United States, OR a permanent legal resident of the United States who is an honorably discharged veteran of the United States armed forced; requires such an officer to apply for or obtain citizenship within six years of the employment start date.
- Must be at least 21 years of age upon completion of the Police Basic Training program.
- Must not have been convicted of. or pled guilty (or enter a plea of Nolo Contendere) to any felony charges.
- Must not have been released or discharged under any other than honorable discharge from any of the armed forces of the United States. Honorable discharge waivers may be granted for the following separations, 1) Entry level separation, 2) General discharge under honorable conditions.
- Must Successfully pass entry level requirements and testing (physical, written, background investigation, psychological and medical) for Police Recruit.
- Must process and maintain a valid driver license as a condition for continued employment.
Dignity and Respect
Stable Employment Record
Good Driving Record
No History of Addiction to Drugs and/or Alcohol
Basic Recruit Minimum Requirements
- Must have a High School Diploma or equivalent and twenty-four (24) semester hours obtained from a regionally (e.g. MSCHE, NECCU, NCA, etc.) or nationally (e.g. DETC, COE, ACCSC, etc.) accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Accreditation.
- Must have a High School Diploma or equivalent and two (2) years work experience (full-time, part-time, or contract or any verifiable work experience) within five (5) years from class start date.
- Must have a High School Diploma or equivalent and two (2) years active or reserve military experience within five (5) years from class start date.
- Basic Recruit applicants must successfully complete and pass the following entry level requirements:
- 1.5 mile run within 17:38 (mins/secs) or less
- Obstacle Course (a foot chase simulation) 160 seconds or less
- One Written Exam >>> Take a Practice Test by clicking Written Exam and entering this code: FEF92CBC6CDF75D2
- Behavioral Interview
- Background Screening
- Psychological Exam
- Clinical Interview
- Medical Assessment
- Finger Print submission
Are You Ready to Join the Best In Blue?
The Memphis Police Department Training Academy is a Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA) Accredited Public Safety Training Facility and is a VA certified training facility.
The City of Memphis, including the Memphis Police Department, does not discriminate based on race, color, or national origin in Federal or state sponsored programs, services and activities, pursuant to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C. 2000d).
The Memphis Police Department is a equal opportunity employer.