Benefits & Salary
Our Benefits & Salaries Help to Build Your Family’s Life in Memphis.
Click the buttons below to see our benefit and salary options.
Police Officer Salaries: (effective 07/01/2021)
|Police Recruit (22 weeks of Training)||$20.49||$1,639.96||$42,638.96|
|Police Officer II-P (One Year Probation)||$21.93||$1,754.75||$45,623.50|
|Police Officer||w/Bachelor’s Degree x 7.5%|
Shift Differential Pay
For all employees who work a non-rotating fixed shift, the city will pay a shift premium for all time worked during the second and third shifts.
|2nd Shift per month||3rd Shift per month|
|Police Officer II (probation)||$19.62||$39.24|
|Police Officer II||$22.70||$45.40|
After an employee has worked 6 consecutive months on either the second or third shift or combination thereof, and continues to be assigned to either a second or third shift, the shift differential rates will be:
|2nd Shift per month||3rd Shift per month|
|Police Officer II (probation)||$29.44||$58.86|
|Police Officer II||$34.05||$68.10|
For a comprehensive list of City employee benefits, wellness and rewards, please visit the Total Rewards website for the latest information.
On the date you are hired, you will become eligible for:
- BCBST (Blue Cross/Blue Shield TN)
- BLUE Health Rewards
Dental Insurance Options (Individual & Family)
- Met Life – City of Memphis plan
- Lincoln Dental Connect – Memphis Police Association plan
Vision Coverage Options (Individual & Family)
- BCBST Vision – City of Memphis plan
- Davis Vision – Memphis Police Association plan
Employee/Retiree Wellness Clinic
- Zero cost medication and medical services offered to all City of Memphis employees, retirees, and their family members who have City of Memphis health benefits. The City of Memphis forged a partnership with Blue Cross/Blue Shield and BMG (Baptist Medical Group) to provide these quality services and to reduce employees’ overall healthcare cost.
- Zero cost service you can connect to with a board certified doctor via secure video chat or phone.
- Physician Now
Life Insurance – Contributory and Voluntary Coverage
- Lincoln Insurance and/or the Memphis Police Association Life Insurance Plan.
No-cost Death Benefit Coverage
- The City of Memphis offers a $10,000 death benefit to all regular full-time and retired employees at no-cost.
- The City of Memphis offers a line-of-duty death benefit of five times the salary, up to $350,000, to officers at no cost.
FSA (Flexible Spending Account) / HRA (Health Reimbursement Arrangement)
- Healthcare Account – Visa Card
- Dependent Care Account
Long Term and Short Term Disability Plans
- Standard Insurance
- You may retire after 25 years of service with the Memphis Police Department.
- City of Memphis Hybrid Pension Plan – combined benefits of a traditional defined retirement benefit plan with the benefits of a defined contribution plan.
- The City of Memphis Hybrid Pension Plan is a market based cash balance plan and a 401(a) defined contribution plan, designed as an opportunity to earn more money for retirement.
- Mass Mutual
Deferred Compensation / 457(b) Plan
- Mass Mutual
- The deferred compensation plan is a supplemental retirement plan that allows employees to save money on tax-deferred basis.
- An optional employee tax deferred retirement savings plan that can voluntarily be added to the Hybrid Pension balance to increase the amount of the guaranteed lifetime monthly annuity the employee will receive.
Police Lateral/Fast Track
Police Officer-Lateral Salaries:
|Hourly||Pay Period*||Annually||w/Bachelor’s Degree x 7.5%|
|6 or 12 Weeks of Training + 1 Year||$24.39||$1,950.82||$50,721.32||N/A|
College Tuition Reimbursement
You can earn additional pay by completing college level courses beyond the minimum 54 semester hours required. Officers will earn an extra 5% pay for 85 or more semester hours and 7.5% pay for a 4 year degree.
We offer $3000 annually for college tuition reimbursement to further your career.
Student Loan Reduction Program
Keep more money for you and your family with our Student Loan Reduction Program. Some of the benefits include:
- Offers monthly contribution with no lifetime maximum for as long as you are employed with the City of Memphis.
- Provides extra student loan payments – by the City each month – helping you save time and money.
- The Tuition.io platform, allow employees to see all of their student loans, repayment strategies, financing options, and the positive impact that the loan contributions make toward their financial wellness.
Public Safety Student Loan Debt Forgiveness (PSLF) Program
Police Officers with 10 years of service can eliminate 100% of their outstanding federal student loan debt.
Opportunity to develop and improve law enforcement skills of officers in pursuit of career path objectives through various departmental assignments. Memphis Police has over 75 specialized units and assignments – department wide – to aspire for.
Career Development Path
$15,000 Sign-on Bonus for newly hired Fast Track & Lateral Transfer Officers
New officers hired through our Fast Track and Lateral Transfer programs receive bonuses for their progress within the program which include:
- $7,500 UPON GRADUATION OF LATERAL TRAINING PROGRAM
- $7,500 FOR COMPLETION OF LATERAL PROBATION
Re-hires are ineligible for sign-on bonus
Looking to Move? Relocation Reimbursement Expense for Out-of-Area Applicants
Are you looking to relocate to Memphis? There are many reasons to move to our fine city including lower cost of living but we also offer assistance for moving expenses. You may qualify for up to $10,000 to cover the cost of one-way moving expenses upon acceptance of the final job offer.
We Offer Many Ways to Earn Extra Income!
Annual In-Service P.O.S.T. Certification Supplement Pay
Qualify to receive an annual bonus for your P.O.S.T. certification.
- $600 annually
- Earn Accumulated-Time Benefit Pay for days off
Receive Overtime Pay for the Following:
- Shift Overlay
- Special Detail Work Assignments
- Off-duty Court Appearances
Annual Uniform Allotment
Receive $450 annually to cover uniform costs.
The Memphis Police Department believes all aspects of your job are crucial and understand they may require extra time on your part. We make sure to reward your hard work and allow you to earn Overtime Pay or Accumulated-Time Benefit Pay for days you are required to appear in court.
Out of Rank Pay
The Memphis Police Department rewards individuals that strive to reach beyond their normal job duties. Officers are eligible to earn Out of Rank Pay for Temporary or Special Assignments.
Service Incentive (Longevity) Pay
All officers will earn incentive pay after 5 years of service.
Longevity pay shall be paid monthly according to the following schedule and rates:
Years of Service: 0.75% of Base Pay
Years of Service: 1.00% of Base Pay
Years of Service: 1.25% of Base Pay
Years of Service: 1.5% of Base Pay
Years of Service: 1.75% of Base Pay
Hazardous Duty Pay
Covers the following duties and assignments – Certified Crisis Intervention Team (CIT), Hostage Negotiation Team, Motorcycle Squad, Bomb Technician Unit, Dog Squad and Crime Scene at a pay rate of:
Field Training Officer (F.T.O.)
Officers competent in speaking, reading and writing in a language other than English will be compensated as follows (Sign-language may also be considered as a non-English language):
Annual PFIP (Physical Fitness Incentive Program)
With our Annual Physical Fitness Incentive Program (PFIP) you may be eligible to earn Accumulated-Time Benefit Pay for days off.
Employee Referral Incentive Pay
Refer recruits to earn up to $5000 per Police Recruit referral pay.
Military Kicker Program
The Memphis Police Department Training Academy (MPDTA – facility code # 10006742) is a state approved agency – by the Department of Veterans Affairs – to offer extra pay incentives for police recruits with educational benefits, during their academy training as well as the 12-month probationary period after graduation. Military personnel can earn up to an additional $1,561.00 per month, if eligible for the maximum benefit amount under the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill (Chapter 33) Educational Benefits program.
Eligible Reservists, National Guard members, and Veterans can receive – up to a maximum estimated benefit of $22,776.00 – during 18 months of On-the-Job Training with the MPDTA.
“Kicker Program” Benefits:
|effective 8/1/2017||Extra Salary per Month|
|1st six months||$1,561.00|
|2nd six months||$1,265.00|
*Monthly estimated benefits include housing allowance and book stipend
The Memphis Police Department Training Academy is a Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA) Accredited Public Safety Training Facility and is a VA certified training facility.
The City of Memphis, including the Memphis Police Department, does not discriminate based on race, color, or national origin in Federal or state sponsored programs, services and activities, pursuant to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C. 2000d).
The Memphis Police Department is a equal opportunity employer.